Monday

La negazione - Negation

After covering the simple tense of -ARE, -ERE, and -IRE verbs, you are able to conjugate a large number of regular verbs and express a large number of concepts.  


You may want to have your worksheets and conjugation practice handy from the previous lessons. If you missed them, or need more review, start there first:
  (1) How Italian verbs work (Intro to verbs and grammar terms)
  (2) Italian present tense: -ARE verbs
  (3) Italian present tense: -ERE verbs
  (4) Italian present tense: -IRE verbs



For example, you know that "mangiare" means "to eat", and it's a regular -ARE verb, so "I eat" is:

Mangio


"Leggere" is a regular -ERE verb that means "to read", so "I read" is:

Leggo


"Dormire" is a regular -IRE verb that means "to sleep", so "I sleep" is:

Dormo


"Finire"  is a regular -IRE verb that takes -ISC- and means "to finish" so "I finish" is:

Finisco



So, collectively, we have:


Mangio, leggo, dormo e finisco.
I eat, I read, I sleep and I finish.

But how do you say…
I don't eat?
I don't read?
I don't sleep?
I don't finish?



Luckily for us, Italian negation is much simpler than English… you just add "non" before the verb.

So, "I don't eat" is:


Non mangio



"I don't read" is:


Non leggo

"I don't sleep" is:


Non dormo

and "I don't finish" is:


Non finisco

Easy right?  

(Hear "non" pronounced by native speaker PhoenixLo at Forvo.com: )


Looking at some of the conjugation tables that you completed in previous lessons, try repeating each verb aloud, adding the negation "non" to each.



Double negatives
In English, we are taught that double negatives are bad… "I don't never eat" sounds at best confusing, and at worst just plain wrong.

In Italian, however, double negatives are required.  Let's see how that works:

"Never", in Italian, is: 


mai
never


(sounds a bit like the English "my"...hear it pronounced thanks to Heracleum at Forvo.com!)

So to say "I never do something" you must use both "non"  and "mai" as follows:

non + (verbo) + mai formula for "I never (verb)" by ab for viaoptimae.com



So "I never eat" is:


Non mangio mai.
I never eat.


Using the above, try translating the following:
(highlight below each to reveal answers)


I never read.
Non leggo mai.

I never sleep.
Non dormo mai.

I never finish...
Non finisco mai...


Again, review your conjugation tables and try saying each verb out loud, adding the formula "non" (verb) "mai"… 



La Negazione — Negation Worksheet, available on pages 10 and 11 of Via Optimae's digital Beginner's Workbook
*not available on mobile devices, please open with a regular computer

ITALIAN: Workbooks Beginner's Workbook, Part One, from Via Optimae, www.viaoptimae.com

Feel free to submit your answers to viaoptimae{@gmail.com} for free corrections!




That's it! I leave you now with one more example:

Non mi stanco mai di studiare.
I never get tired of studying.

E tu?
Alex on www.viaoptimae.com




Ready to move on to the next lesson in this series?


All lessons in the Beginner's Italian series:
  (1) How Italian verbs work(Intro to verbs & grammar terms)
  (4) Italian present tense: -IRE verbs — CURRENT PAGE
  (5) La negazione - Negation
  (6) Ogni quanto? Quante volte? (Adverbs of frequency)
  (7) C'è & Ci sono (There is & There are)

No comments:

Post a Comment

See also:

Frasi celebri su Via Optimae

Frasi celebri su Via Optimae
Acque del sud (To Have and Have Not) original: "You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and… blow."